LASIK LASER EYE SURGERY…. Sharp Vision for Clear Sights
What is lasik laser eye surgery? .The world is mirrored in our eyes. As around 80 percent of all our sensations are perceived through our eyes it is more pleasant to receive the signals from our environment without the aid of glasses or contact lenses.
This wish can quickly become reality: For more than two decades it has been possible to correct visual defects with a laser. During this treatment the laser beams reshape the cornea’s surface within a few seconds so that a sharp image occurs on the retina. Though the cornea is only changed by fractions of a millimetre, these subtle changes can very nicely compensate for visual defects.If you also want to see clearly, we gladly explain to you how it works and how we can help you.
Please keep in mind that necessary decisions concerning treatment should only be made under professional medical supervision, attendance and recommendation.
GET RID OF GLASSES FOR BETTER CONFIDENCE
WHAT IS LASIK LASER SURGERY
LASIK (Laser-Assisted-In-Situ Keratomileusis) is currently one of the most frequently performed procedures in the world. It is a highly effective outpatient procedure, often referred to as refractive surgery, and is used to correct myopia and hyperopia, as well as astigmatism. This procedure, which is performed by ophthalmologist’s and trained LASIK surgeons, uses a cool beam of light from the excimer laser to gently reshape the front surface (cornea) of your eye. This is done by creating a corneal flap on the surface of the eye, which is peeled back to allow the excimer laser begin reshaping
LASIK stands for LASER Assisted in situ Keratomielusis. Lasik Laser vision Correction is performed using the excimer Laser,a computer controlled “cool” ultraviolet beam of light. the laser sculpts the cornea into a shape that allows light focus more directly on the retina, which eliminates or reduces a variety of eye abnormalities.
The LASIK LASR SURGERY Procedure
1. Anaesthetic drops are applied to the eye.
2. A protective flap is created and gently lifted by the Lasik surgeon, revealing the inner corneal tissue. During this process, vision can become quite blurred. Generally patients are only able to see the light of the laser and surrounding overhead lighting.
3. Computer-controlled pulses of cool laser light are applied to the inner layers of your cornea. As the laser pulses, it makes a ticking sound. The inner corneal layer is reshaped with the laser to mimic your contact lens or glasses prescription. During this process, an eye tracking device will track your eye movements up to 4000 times per second for precise correction.
4. Following the re-shaping of the tissue, the corneal flap is carefully repositioned. It is then checked for air pockets and any other debris which may hinder the healing process.The Lasik laser surgeon gently replaces the flap and aligns it to its original position. It heals naturally and securely.
5. Some patients may feel slight irritation for a few hours, but most are quite comfortable after a nap and rest.
FOR LASIK LASER SURGERY IN JALANDHAR OUR CENTRE IS EQUIPPED WITH
1. SCHWIND LASIK LASER SURGERY MACHINE : The complete system from one source
SCHWIND eye-tech-solutions has consistently combined all aspects of refractive and therapeutic corneal surgery into one package. The result is a perfectly coordinated product portfolio consisting of diagnostic systems, software, microkeratome and excimer lasers, suited for a wide spectrum of clinical indications.It has features like fast eye tracker,0.5mm spot Gaussian beam,wavefront guided treatments,[C Lasik] aspherical treatments.
Spectrum of treatments
- Mixed Astigmatism
- Irregular corneas
- Higher order aberrations
- Optical zone enlargements
- Corneal scars
2.CORNEAL WAVEFRONT [OPTIKON KERATRON SCOUT]
This is used to to take 3D computerised maps of cornea so as to measure symptomatic aberrations of the cornea.
- Its very high resolution of one micrometer detects even the slightest irregularities.
- The measuring process does not require any medical pupil dilation.
- Automatic repeatability tests assist the selection of appropriate images for treatment planning.
- Deep-set eyes as well as small eyes can easily be measured.
- The corneal wavefront analysis documents the type and size of all optical errors existing on the anterior corneal surface and allows a high-precision diagnosis.
- It also provides all key topographical information needed to enhance IOL power calculation and IOL selection.
- Pupil diameter can be measured under both scotopic and photopic lighting conditions with the aid of the integrated pupillometry function.
3. SCHWIND OCULAR WAVEFRONT ANALYZER (Imagine Eyes)
The Ocular Wavefront Analyzer is the latest generation of multi-functional aberrometres. It analyses the optical characteristics of the whole eye in a single measuring process.
- A high-resolution Hartmann-Shack sensor for the analysis of wavefront aberration
- Excellent resolution of 230 µm, 1024 measuring points.
- Expanded dynamic range of -15/+20 D sphere and +/- 10 D astigmatism
- Precise and objective measurement of the patient’s accommodative response.
- Integrated pupillometry: Detection of the scotopic pupil size (in mm) under dark room conditions.
- Implemented keratometry function measuring the corneal curvature
- Extensive software package offers many analysis options – whether in tabular form, as bar diagram or as wavefront map.
The corneal wavefront as well as ocular wavefront described above both heip in doing customised lasik procedures C LASIK – [ Click to Know more about C LASIK]
This is used to make corneal flap during lasik surgery.The technologically sophisticated Carriazo Pendular microkeratome offers unequaled precision. The result is convincing and highly predictable treatment quality for the refractive surgeon and his patient.
- The unique pendular technology provides a homogeneous and exactly predictable flap thickness, as well as very smooth cutting edges.
- The standard deviation is extremely low (10 – 12 µm, depending on the size cutting head used)
- The hinge position can be freely selected (360 degrees).
- The complete interchangeability of the components optimizes the operation procedure and reduces consequential costs.
- A microprocessor in the console continuously monitors the activity of the Carriazo Pendular.
- With a comprehensive monitoring, suction and cutting phases are illustrated in an uniquely detailed way
- The cutting heads are offered in the standard versions of 90, 110, 130, 150 and 170 µm, and are also available in all other desired cut thicknesses.
- The interactive, five-language console display does not only show errors, but also indicates the respective solution.
- An innovative box provides increased safety during performance of the treatment.
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR LASIK LASER SURGERY ?
Patients planning lasik laser eye surgery
- Should be 18 years of age or older, and should have a prescription which has been stable for 18 months. There is no upper age limit for the procedure.
- Should have healthy corneas.
- Women should not be pregnant or within eight weeks of either pregnancy or nursing.
- Patients with active rheumatoid arthritis or lupus should not have LASIK.
- Some patients with uncontrolled diabetes should not have the surgery, but those with good blood sugar control and without diabetic eye disease may still have surgery.
- Patients with very thin corneas may not be candidates for LASIK, but may be eligible for LASEK or epi-LASIK. A comprehensive topographic assessment using the Pentacam Scheimpflug Imaging System helps to determine the corneal thickness and eligibility.
FAQ’s [frequently asked questions].
What type of anesthetic is used for Lasik laser eye surgery?
The procedure is done with topical anesthetic (eye drops) to numb the eye. Patients may be given a small amount of oral sedative to help them relax.
Does the lasik laser surgery procedure hurt?
Patients are given a topical anesthetic (eye drops) to numb the eye, so they experience no pain. When the surgeon applies the vacuum ring, the patient experiences a sensation of pressure just before his or her vision fades for a few seconds. The microkeratome – the instrument the surgeon uses to create the flap – and the laser do not cause any pain or discomfort.
For several hours after the procedure, many patients describe a mild burning sensation, such as after opening the eyes while swimming in chlorinated water. After the first few hours, this uncomfortable feeling usually subsides.
How long will the lasik laser eye procedure take?
The whole procedure takes about 10 to 15 minutes for two eyes, including creating the flap and performing the laser under the flap.
Are the results achieved from lasik laser surgery permanent?
The effects of lasik eye surgery are permanent. The effects of lasik laser surgery do not wear off. But it is important to realize that a person’s eye can still change internally. That is why many surgeons recommend having the procedure done after the major eye changes have occurred in one’s life.
For instance, lasik laser surgery is not recommended on children because their eyes change a great deal. They would need the vision fine-tuned in a few years. If the procedure is performed after the age of 18, the chance of long-term stable correction is more likely. Even the eyes of patients over the age of 18 can still be changing.
Therefore, we recommend a good conversation with your surgeon so they can review the changes you have had and help you make a decision whether or not you should wait until the changes have slowed down.
Patients should also note that while results are usually stable, they can be modified by enhancement procedures – procedures performed after the initial one – if necessary.
How long will it take before I can see well, and how long will it take before I have my best vision?
Discomfort is rare and minimal. Usually vision is immediately improved but may fluctuate for some days.The eyes and lids cannot be rubbed to protect the flap for few days. Drops are used forfour weeks.usualy best of vision is achieved within 7 to 10 days.
Can I have both eyes done with lasik surgery at the same time?
You can have bilateral simultaneous LASIK (both eyes done at the same time).
If I have lasik laser eye surgery and my vision changes later in life, can it be redone?
Re-treatment may be a viable solution to vision changes later in life and other treatment options may exist, such as Intacs. You would need to see your ophthalmologist to determine the cause of the change and which option may be best for you.